Easter Lunch – feed 6 for under £10
Easter is historically a time for getting along with household or associates or neighbours. For some it’s a deeply spiritual pageant, for others it’s an excuse to eat their physique weight in chocolate eggs. For many of us although it’s only a nice purpose to prepare dinner pretty meals, sit down with our nearest and dearest and rejoice Spring and all that it has to supply.
This yr, whereas we’re nonetheless within the depths of the price of residing disaster, attempting to work out what we are able to afford this Easter is difficult. Meals is simply so costly proper now. However don’t fear, we’ve completed the arduous be just right for you.
Learn on to search out out how one can feed six folks on Easter Sunday for underneath a tenner.
STAYING IN BUDGET
Let’s begin with the meat eaters’ costliest merchandise: the lamb. The typical half leg joint prices anyplace from round £10 to just about £30, so already that’s our price range blown. For those who can’t do with out your lamb joint, then you will have to pay extra on your meal. Nevertheless, there are options.
Added to which Aldi are slicing the worth of a few of their veggies all the way down to 19p this Easter from 4th-Ninth April. That’s the type of cut price we like right here at MoneyMagpie.
In case you are ready to be versatile and to make a stew moderately than a roast, you’ll be able to throw in some veggies with the stewing lamb and have the added bonus of creating the meal a lot simpler to organize! However do keep in mind this can be a gradual one which takes time within the oven, so get cooking nicely upfront of your dinner time. Go away a minimum of 3 1/2 hours earlier than you sit down.
BBC Good Food has a scrumptious recipe that I’ve used and may vouch for:
- 800g diced lamb – £4.00 (Waitrose)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil – 6p (£1.99 for bottle from Aldi)
- 1 massive onion – 31p (Aldi)
- 4 massive carrots – around15p (Aldi)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree – lower than 1p (Aldi Cucina, 49p per tube)
- 1 tbsp flour – lower than 1p
- 750ml lamb inventory – 32p (pack of 8 for £1.30 from Tescos)
- 2 bay leaves – lower than 10p (jar for 90p Tescos)
- rosemary sprig – 45p (89p for pack from Morrisons)
On the aspect:
- Greens of your alternative, eg frozen peas 200g – 20p (Aldi bag for 89p)
- Mashed potatoes – 19p Aldi
TOTAL – £6.19
- Warmth oven to 160C/140C fan/Gasoline mark 3
- First scrub or peel your carrots and roughly chop the onion.
- Put together your inventory (add two cubes to boiling water in a jug)
- Warmth the oil in a big casserole dish and batch fry the lamb in order that it’s browned on all sides and take away to a plate on the aspect
- Subsequent add the onion and carrot and prepare dinner for 8-10 minutes till beginning to color.
- Sprinkle within the flour and prepare dinner for 1 minute, then stir in your tomato puree and prepare dinner for a couple of minutes extra.
- Tip the meat and any juices again into the dish and stir to mix with the veggies
- Progressively pour over the inventory, stirring as you achieve this, tuck within the herbs, season and convey to a simmer.
- Cowl with a lid and pop into the oven for round 2 hours – 2 hours half-hour, till the meat is tender.
- About half an hour earlier than you’re prepared to take a seat down, prepare dinner and mash your potatoes and boil the peas
Take pleasure in!
For those who favor a standard Sunday Roast on Easter Day then click on right here for the most affordable meal offers we might discover.